Re: Error prone compilation of stored procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Error prone compilation of stored procedure
Date
List pgsql-general

Pavel Stehule wrote
> PLpgSQL doesn't check a identifiers inside embedded SQL before execution.
> In this case j_var can be theoretically some SQL identifiers - the
> possibility or impossibility is not know in function validation stage.
>
> It has some plus and minus points. The plus - there are not strong
> dependency between database objects and PL code. The minus - lot of bugs
> are not detected in validation stage. But this issue can be solved by
> plpgsql_check extension https://github.com/okbob/plpgsql_check/

Thank you for the link to extension.
Another minus is that my colleagues which use to work on oracle think that
postgresql is at least one league below oracle.

why minus? - The dependency in PL/SQL is hell - it strongly increase a complexity of lot of tasks.  The plpgsql is designed to be simple as possible - but it has the power of PL/SQL. If you need to check your PLpgSQL code, just install plpgsql_check extension.

Regards

Pavel