Re: jsonb array-style subscripting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: jsonb array-style subscripting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

On 8/17/15 12:57 PM, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:
* is it interesting for the community?

We definitely need better ways to manipulate JSON.

* is that a good idea to extend the `ArrayRef` for jsonb? If it's
appropriate, probably we can rename it to `ArrayJsonbRef` of something.
* what can be improved in the code at the top level (function placement,
probably, functionality duplication, etc.)?
* are there any special cases, that I should take care of in this
implementation?

How would this work when you have a JSON array? Postgres array syntax suddenly becoming key/value syntax for JSON seems like a pretty bad idea to me. Could a different syntax (maybe {}) be used instead?

I don't understand why '{}' should be better than '[]' ?

The lot of modern languages doesn't different between arrays and hash.

Regards

Pavel

I'm not sure having the UPDATE you show cause objects to spring to life is so great either.