Re: jsonb array-style subscripting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: jsonb array-style subscripting
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 08/18/2015 01:32 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi

> <mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>>:
>
>     On 8/17/15 12:57 PM, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:
>
>         * is it interesting for the community?
>

>     We definitely need better ways to manipulate JSON.
>
>         * is that a good idea to extend the `ArrayRef` for jsonb? If it's
>         appropriate, probably we can rename it to `ArrayJsonbRef` of
>         something.
>         * what can be improved in the code at the top level (function
>         placement,
>         probably, functionality duplication, etc.)?
>         * are there any special cases, that I should take care of in this
>         implementation?
>

>     How would this work when you have a JSON array? Postgres array
>     syntax suddenly becoming key/value syntax for JSON seems like a
>     pretty bad idea to me. Could a different syntax (maybe {}) be used
>     instead?
>

> I don't understand why '{}' should be better than '[]' ?
>
> The lot of modern languages doesn't different between arrays and hash.

What is more, it would be a lot more intrusive to the parser, I suspect.
We currently allow json path expressions to contain both object key and
array index values, and I don't see any reason to do this differently.
This is the syntax that was discussed at pgcon.

cheers

andrew