Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

On 1/4/16, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> [ new patch ]
>
> +         case '-':
> +             ereport(ERROR,
> +                     (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
> +                      errmsg("size cannot be negative")));
>
> Why not?  I bet if you copy any - sign to the buffer, this will Just Work.

Hmm. The function's name is pg_size_bytes. How number of bytes can be
negative? How any length can be negative? If anyone insert '-' sign to
an argument, it is copy-paste error. I don't see any case where there
is possible negatives as input value.

I prefer error message instead of getting all relations (by using
comparison from the initial letter) just because of copy-paste mistake
or incomplete checking of input values at app-level.

the last version of this patch support negative numbers.

Regards

Pavel

--
Best regards,