Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
RobertHaas wrote:<br /> > > It's certainly true that we twiddled our thumbs quite a bit about<br /> > >
getting9.5 ready to ship.  However, the old process where nobody<br /> > > could get anything committed for six
monthsout of the year blew<br /> > > chunks, too.  Personally, I think that the solution is to cut off the<br />
>> last CommitFest a lot sooner, and then reopen the tree for the next<br /> > > release as soon as
possible. But this never works, because there are<br /> > > always patches we want to slip in late.<br /> ><br
/>> Said twiddling seems to largely happened from July to December. In which<br /> > the other branch was open,
andno 9.5 commitfest was happening. If we<br /> > move the commitfests to earlier, but still have a half year of
commitfests,aside heroic and<br /> > unsustainable efforts by individual CF managers, I haven't noticed any<br />
>effect of when fests started/stopped. Aside from a short time increase<br /> > in unfinished patches being
postedthe day before the next CFs starts.<br /><p dir="ltr">Yeah, we seem to be firmly stuck at two month long
commitfestsstarted every two months. The plan was for them to be one month.. <p dir="ltr">Maybe we should try just very
drasticallycutting them at one month and bumping everything left. No questions asked, no extra time for anybody.
Regardlessof if it's the first or the last commitfest. <p dir="ltr">Just to see what happens. Because what we are doing
nowclearly doesn't work.. <p dir="ltr">/Magnus