Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-01-20 10:55:07 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's certainly true that we twiddled our thumbs quite a bit about
> getting 9.5 ready to ship.  However, the old process where nobody
> could get anything committed for six months out of the year blew
> chunks, too.  Personally, I think that the solution is to cut off the
> last CommitFest a lot sooner, and then reopen the tree for the next
> release as soon as possible.  But this never works, because there are
> always patches we want to slip in late.

Said twiddling seems to largely happened from July to December. In which
the other branch was open, and no 9.5 commitfest was happening. If we
move the commitfests to earlier, but still have a half year of nothing
happening, we're still in a bad situation.

FWIW, looking at the last few commitfests, aside heroic and
unsustainable efforts by individual CF managers, I haven't noticed any
effect of when fests started/stopped. Aside from a short time increase
in unfinished patches being posted the day before the next CFs starts.

Andres