Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
Re: Releasing in September  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: Releasing in September  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2016-01-20 10:40:14 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> We have gotten off of that cycle in the last two major releases, and
>> this isn't going to improve as long as we have commitfests starting
>> after January.
>
> I think this has very little to do with commitfest schedules, and much
> more with the "early" forking of the new version branch. For both 9.4
> and 9.5 we essentially spent a couple months twiddling our thumbs.

It's certainly true that we twiddled our thumbs quite a bit about
getting 9.5 ready to ship.  However, the old process where nobody
could get anything committed for six months out of the year blew
chunks, too.  Personally, I think that the solution is to cut off the
last CommitFest a lot sooner, and then reopen the tree for the next
release as soon as possible.  But this never works, because there are
always patches we want to slip in late.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company