Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date
Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 11:52 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 6:02 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have completely changed the logic for this refactoring.  Basically,
> > > write_relmap_file(), is already having parameters to control whether
> > > to write wal, send inval and we are already passing the dbpath.
> > > Instead of making a new function I just pass one additional parameter
> > > to this function itself about whether we are creating a new map or not
> > > and I think with that changes are very less and this looks cleaner to
> > > me.  Similarly for load_relmap_file() also I just had to pass the
> > > dbpath and memory for destination map.  Please have a look and let me
> > > know your thoughts.
> >
> > It's not terrible, but how about something like the attached instead?
> > I think this has the effect of reducing the number of cases that the
> > low-level code needs to know about from 2 to 1, instead of making it
> > go up from 2 to 3.
>
> Yeah this looks cleaner, I will rebase the remaining patch.

Here is the updated version of the patch set.

Changes, 1) it take Robert's patch as first refactoring patch 2)
Rebase other new relmapper apis on top of that in 0002 3) Some code
refactoring in main patch 0005 and also one problem fix, earlier in
wal log method I have removed ForceSyncCommit(), but IMHO that is
equally valid whether we use file_copy or wal_log because in both
cases we are creating the disk files.  4) Support strategy in createdb
tool and add test case as part of 0006.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar