Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 5:21 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changes, 1) it take Robert's patch as first refactoring patch 2)
> Rebase other new relmapper apis on top of that in 0002 3) Some code
> refactoring in main patch 0005 and also one problem fix, earlier in
> wal log method I have removed ForceSyncCommit(), but IMHO that is
> equally valid whether we use file_copy or wal_log because in both
> cases we are creating the disk files.  4) Support strategy in createdb
> tool and add test case as part of 0006.

I don't think you've adequately considered temporary relations here.
It seems to be that ReadBufferWithoutRelcache() could not be safe on a
temprel, because we'd need a BackendId to access the underlying
storage. So I think that ReadBufferWithoutRelcache can only accept
unlogged or permanent, and maybe the argument ought to be a Boolean
instead of a relpersistence value. I thought that this problem might
be only cosmetic, but I checked the code that actually does the copy,
and there's no filter there on relpersistence either. And I think
there should be.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com