Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date
Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah maybe it is not necessary to close as these unowned smgr will
> automatically get closed on the transaction end.  Actually the
> previous person of the patch had both these comments fixed.  The
> reason for explicitly closing it is that I have noticed that most of
> the places we explicitly close the smgr where we do smgropen e.g.
> index_copy_data(), heapam_relation_copy_data() OTOH some places we
> don't close it e.g. IssuePendingWritebacks().   So now I think that in
> our case better we do not close it because I do not like this specific
> code at the end to close the smgr.

PFA patches for different problems discussed in the thread

0001 - Fix the problem of skipping the empty block and buffer lock on
source buffer
0002 - Remove fake relcache entry (same as 0001-BugfixInWalLogCreateDB.patch)
0003 - Optimization to avoid extending block by block

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment