Re: Logical replication from PG v13 and below to PG v14 (devel version) is not working. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: Logical replication from PG v13 and below to PG v14 (devel version) is not working.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 11:55 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 5:15 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 12:02 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > I am not sure if this suggestion makes it better than what is purposed
> > > by Dilip but I think we can declare them in define number order like
> > > below:
> > > #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MIN_VERSION_NUM 1
> > > #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM 1
> > > #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM 2
> > > #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MAX_VERSION_NUM LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM
> >
> > Done this way.
> >

> - options.proto.logical.proto_version = LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM;
> + options.proto.logical.proto_version = MySubscription->stream ?
> + LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM : LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM;
>
> Here, I think instead of using MySubscription->stream, we should use
> server/walrecv version number as we used at one place in tablesync.c.

I am not sure how can we do this?  If PG version number is 14 then we
will always sent the LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM? then again
we will face the same error right?  I think it should be strictly
based on whether we have enabled the streaming or not.  Because
logical replication protocol is still the same, only if the streaming
is enabled we expect the streaming protocol otherwise not.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar