Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Keller
Subject Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Andrew

> (1) this has been discussed many times in the past (...)

Can you point me to one of these discussions?

Actually, I browsed once again the mailing list and this is one of the few posts I found:
"In-Memory Columnar Store" 9.12.13 by knizhnik.

> (2) nobody seems to be saying, "I have $n to spend on this effort and
> $thesepatches to contribute towards this end along with $thisdesign,"
> but instead to be saying, "It'd be nice if someone else did this work;"

Can't see that anybody suggested that. In contrary:
I said, that I'd like to discuss things before I code.

> (3) there _are_ several in-memory-only databases on the
> market, including free-software ones, so it isn't clear what Postgres
> would contribute, especially since its basic design isn't obviously
> amenable to this sort of use.

To me it's unclear why design of Postgres should prevent implementation of "in-memory tables" e.g. as foreign data wrappers (see e.g. white papers for SQL Server mentioned before).

Regards,
Stefan

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:43:58PM +0200, Stefan Keller wrote:
> running out-of-memory [1][2] - i.e. pretty much what has been discussed
> here - although little bit reluctantly :-)

It is just possible that some of the reluctance is because (1) this
has been discussed many times in the past, partly with the arguments
you've already seen in this thread, and with much the same results;
(2) nobody seems to be saying, "I have $n to spend on this effort and
$thesepatches to contribute towards this end along with $thisdesign,"
but instead to be saying, "It'd be nice if someone else did this
work;" and (3) there _are_ several in-memory-only databases on the
market, including free-software ones, so it isn't clear what Postgres
would contribute, especially since its basic design isn't obviously
amenable to this sort of use.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca