Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:43:58PM +0200, Stefan Keller wrote:
> running out-of-memory [1][2] - i.e. pretty much what has been discussed
> here - although little bit reluctantly :-)

It is just possible that some of the reluctance is because (1) this
has been discussed many times in the past, partly with the arguments
you've already seen in this thread, and with much the same results;
(2) nobody seems to be saying, "I have $n to spend on this effort and
$thesepatches to contribute towards this end along with $thisdesign,"
but instead to be saying, "It'd be nice if someone else did this
work;" and (3) there _are_ several in-memory-only databases on the
market, including free-software ones, so it isn't clear what Postgres
would contribute, especially since its basic design isn't obviously
amenable to this sort of use.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca