Re: [GSoC2014] Patch ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Subject Re: [GSoC2014] Patch ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I pointed out, in the email just before pushing the patch, that perhaps
> > > we should pass down the new relpersistence flag into finish_heap_swap,
> > > and from there we could pass it down to reindex_index() which is where
> > > it would be needed.  I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, but I think we
> > > can still ask Fabrizio to rework that part.
>
> > I can rework this part if it's a real concern.
>
> I guess we can make a better assessment by seeing what it would take.
> I'm afraid it will turn out to be really ugly.
>
> Now, there's some desire to have unlogged indexes on logged tables; I
> guess if we have that, then eventually there will also be a desire to
> swap individual indexes from logged to unlogged.  Perhaps whatever fix
> we come up with here would pave the road for that future feature.

Álvaro,

I did a refactoring to pass down the relpersistence to "finish_heap_swap" and then change the catalog inside the "reindex_index" instead of in the rewrite table phase.

That way we can get rid the function ATChangeIndexesPersistence in the src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c.

Thoughts?

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL