Re: [GSoC2014] Patch ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [GSoC2014] Patch ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:

> > I pointed out, in the email just before pushing the patch, that perhaps
> > we should pass down the new relpersistence flag into finish_heap_swap,
> > and from there we could pass it down to reindex_index() which is where
> > it would be needed.  I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, but I think we
> > can still ask Fabrizio to rework that part.

> I can rework this part if it's a real concern.

I guess we can make a better assessment by seeing what it would take.
I'm afraid it will turn out to be really ugly.

Now, there's some desire to have unlogged indexes on logged tables; I
guess if we have that, then eventually there will also be a desire to
swap individual indexes from logged to unlogged.  Perhaps whatever fix
we come up with here would pave the road for that future feature.