Re: Incremental backup with RSYNC or something? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Incremental backup with RSYNC or something?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Robins Tharakan
<robins.tharakan@comodo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, the 'complex' stuff is only as there for larger or high-traffic DBs.
> Besides at 60GB that is a largish DB in itself and you should begin to try
> out a few other backup methods nonetheless. That is moreso, if you are
> taking entire DB backups everyday, you would save a considerable lot on
> (backup) storage.

Thanks. I usually keep only the last 6 days of it. And monthly backups
as of Day 1. So it's not piling up or anything.

What "other methods" do you recommend? That was in fact my question.
Do I need to install some modules?

> Anyway, as for pgdump, we have a DB 20x bigger than you mention (1.3TB) and
> it takes only half a day to do a pgdump+gzip (both). One thing that comes to
> mind, how are you compressing? I hope you are doing this in one operation
> (or at least piping pgdump to gzip before writing to disk)?

I'm gzipping with this command (this is my backup.sh)--

    BKPFILE=/backup/pg/dbback-${DATA}.sql
    pg_dump MYDB -U MYDB_MYDB -f ${BKPFILE}
    gzip --fast ${BKPFILE}

Is this good enough? Sadly, this takes up over 97% of the CPU when it's running!