Re: Incremental backup with RSYNC or something? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robins Tharakan
Subject Re: Incremental backup with RSYNC or something?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Well, the 'complex' stuff is only as there for larger or high-traffic
DBs. Besides at 60GB that is a largish DB in itself and you should begin
to try out a few other backup methods nonetheless. That is moreso, if
you are taking entire DB backups everyday, you would save a considerable
lot on (backup) storage.

Anyway, as for pgdump, we have a DB 20x bigger than you mention (1.3TB)
and it takes only half a day to do a pgdump+gzip (both). One thing that
comes to mind, how are you compressing? I hope you are doing this in one
operation (or at least piping pgdump to gzip before writing to disk)?

--
Robins Tharakan