Help with configuring pgAudit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Hughes
Subject Help with configuring pgAudit
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,
I'm using PostgreSQL 10.5 on Linux (RHEL).  I recently installed pgAudit and was trying to configure it to capture DLL statements.

1) The first thing I tried was to edit the postgresql.conf file directly.  I didn't see any commented out default entries to edit, so near where I have the entries:
log_destination = 'csvlog'
log_collector = on
I entered my own entry of:
pgaudit.log = 'ddl'
Then I restarted the database.  After doing this I created and dropped a table, but no entry of that in the log file postgresql-2019-11-19-141901.csv.

2) So then tried to create the entry using the ALTER command:
ALTER SYSTEM SET pgaudit.log TO 'ddl';
SELECT pg_reload_conf();
After doing this, I noticed a second file was created (postgresql.auto.conf).  That file had the entry pgaudit.log = 'ddl'.  From what I read, this file get read after the main postgresql.conf file.
However after creating and dropping a table, still no entry in the log file.  I did notice though when I run the command: show pgaudit.log;  It came back with 'Role' (and not ddl).

3) So the final thing I tried was to enter the command: set pgaudit.log = 'ddl'; Now when I run the command show pgaudit.log; it returned 'ddl'.  This time I tried to drop a table again.  After the table was dropped , my psql client displayed:
NOTICE: AUDIT: SESSION, 1,1,DDL, DROP TABLE, TABLE....blah,blah....<not logged>.  This looks like a pgaudit entry but was on my screen and not in the log file.  At this point I restarted the database again and now when I run the command: show pgaudit.log; it defaulted back to 'Role' (vs. ddl).

Can someone please help me see what it is i'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Hughes