Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Why do we need a ticker?  Just fetch the time of the task closest in the
> future, and sleep till that time or a notify arrives (meaning schedule
> change).

Keep in mind that cron functionality also includes "batch", which
means that the process needs to have the ability to be woken up by the
need to handle some pressing engagement that comes in suddenly.

For some events to be initiated by a NOTIFY received by a LISTENing
batch processor would be pretty slick...