Re: truncating timestamps on arbitrary intervals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: truncating timestamps on arbitrary intervals
Date
Re: truncating timestamps on arbitrary intervals  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 1:06 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> The current docs seem to be missing a "synopsis", like
>
> +<synopsis>
> +date_trunc(<replaceable>stride</replaceable>, <replaceable>timestamp</replaceable>, <replaceable>origin</replaceable>)
> +</synopsis>

The attached
- adds a synopsis
- adds a bit more description to the parameters similar to those in date_trunc
- documents that negative intervals are treated the same as positive ones

Note on the last point: This just falls out of the math, so was not deliberate, but it seems fine to me. We could ban negative intervals, but that would possibly just inconvenience some people unnecessarily. We could also treat negative strides differently somehow, but I don't immediately see a useful and/or intuitive change in behavior to come of that.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com