Re: Password entry in pgadmin3; pg_hba.conf vs .pgpass. Permissioning issue? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andrew Taylor
Subject Re: Password entry in pgadmin3; pg_hba.conf vs .pgpass. Permissioning issue?
Date
Re: Password entry in pgadmin3; pg_hba.conf vs .pgpass. Permissioning issue?  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
List pgadmin-support
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I have this working but don't completely
understand what I did.

1. Here is how the .pgpass file was originally written by pgadmin:

127.0.0.1:5432:*:postgres:Password
:5432:*:django_dev:Password

2. This is the amended version which allows pgadmin to automatically
connect to the server. All I have done is add line 3. All 3 lines seem
to be required to log on to the server.

127.0.0.1:5432:*:postgres:Password
:5432:*:django_dev:Password
localhost:5432:*:django_dev:Password

So questions:
What exactly is the difference between 127.0.0.1 and localhost?
When there is no IP stated as in the second line what does that do?
How come a localhost line wasn't created automatically by pgadmin?

Thanks,

Andy