Re: Password entry in pgadmin3; pg_hba.conf vs .pgpass. Permissioning issue? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Password entry in pgadmin3; pg_hba.conf vs .pgpass. Permissioning issue?
List pgadmin-support
On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 16:56 +0000, Andrew Taylor wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for your help. I have this working but don't completely
> understand what I did.
>
> 1. Here is how the .pgpass file was originally written by pgadmin:
>
> 127.0.0.1:5432:*:postgres:Password
> :5432:*:django_dev:Password
>
> 2. This is the amended version which allows pgadmin to automatically
> connect to the server. All I have done is add line 3. All 3 lines seem
> to be required to log on to the server.
>
> 127.0.0.1:5432:*:postgres:Password
> :5432:*:django_dev:Password
> localhost:5432:*:django_dev:Password
>

> So questions:
> What exactly is the difference between 127.0.0.1 and localhost?

localhost can be anything. On my computer, it is ::1 (the IPv6
equivalent to 127.0.0.1).

> When there is no IP stated as in the second line what does that do?

I've never tried that. I would guess it is the default unix domain
socket.

> How come a localhost line wasn't created automatically by pgadmin?

pgAdmin registers what you enter in the dialog. It doesn't "guess"
things.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info