Re: PostgreSQL, Asynchronous I/O, Buffered I/O and why did fsync-gate not affect Oracle or MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pól Ua Laoínecháin
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, Asynchronous I/O, Buffered I/O and why did fsync-gate not affect Oracle or MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Ron, and thanks for your input.

> > Now, I'm not quite sure that I completely comprehend matters: Is there
> > a difference between Asynchronous I/O and Buffered I/O?

> * Asynchronous (a-syn-chron-ous) is an adjective which means "not together with time".
> * Buffered means "read more than you need at the moment, and then do processing to/from a cache".
> Their antonyms are
> * Synchronous (syn-chron-ous): together with time.
> * Direct, where you read/write only what you need at the moment, directly to/from the IO device.

> Thus, async IO is where you tell the IO subsystem that you need something, and then go off and do something else; the
IOsystem interrupts you when the data has been delivered.
> Synchronous IO is where you request IO and then wait for the data.

Grand - that's the conclusion I was coming to myself...

If you (or anyone) would have any good detailed technical references
which explain these issues, I'd be very grateful.

Rgs,

Pól...