Re: Grouping By Similarity (using pg_trgm)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Grouping By Similarity (using pg_trgm)?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Cory Tucker <cory.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:
[pg version 9.3 or 9.4]

Suppose I have a simple table:

create table data (
  my_value  TEXT NOT NULL
);
CREATE INDEX idx_my_value ON data USING gin(my_value gin_trgm_ops);

Now I would like to essentially do group by to get a count of all the values that are sufficiently similar.  I can do it using something like a CROSS JOIN to join the table on itself, but then I still am getting all the rows with duplicate counts.

Is there a way to do a group by query and only return a single "my_value" column and a count of the number of times other values are similar while also not returning the included similar values in the output, too?