Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how tofix it - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how tofix it
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 1:32 AM, Nikolay Samokhvalov
<samokhvalov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any feedback on this?
>
> The problem persists, a few minutes ago I explained to the new user who
> cited some part of the doc and sent me a link to the manual, that 9.1 is
> very, very old version – obviously, again, Google was used to find that
> link.
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It is very annoying that it most cases, Google search engine result page
>> (SERP) orders links to Postgres documentation so that older versions go
>> first and sometimes the most up-to-date version is not even listed on the
>> 1st page.
>>
>> For instance, if I try to google "postgresql string functions" (in
>> Chrome's incognito mode to have less bias; try it yourself but keep in mind
>> that results may vary depending on your region, settings and search history)
>> it currently shows me links in the following order:
>>
>> 1. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-string.html
>> 2. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/functions-string.html
>> 3. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/functions-string.html
>> 4. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-string.html
>> 5. http://www.postgresqltutorial.com/postgresql-string-functions/
>>

>> etc, and current (Postgres 10) documentation doesn't even present on the
>> 1st page of SERP. (Well, it does, but only PostgresPro's Russian version
>> https://postgrespro.ru/docs/postgrespro/10/functions-string.html – and it's
>> not because I speak Russian – I by purpose didn't give Google any signs to
>> suspect that; I suspect it's because PostgresPro's page has better SEO
>> weight than corresponding official English page).
>>
>> This is the very confusing situation – I hate clicking "latest" each time
>> I use Google to get some Postgres info, and, what is much, much worse, less
>> Postgres-experienced people even don't suspect that they work with very
>> outdated data (fresh example:
>> https://twitter.com/will_in_wi/status/1009813068346519552 – notice Postgres
>> version IN URL, it's 8.2, from 2007).
>>
>> Here is a quick look at SEPRs of the query "XXX string functions" for
>> other open source database systems:
>>
>> A. "mysql string functions"
>>
>> 1. https://dev.mysql.com/doc/en/string-functions.html
>> 2. https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/string-functions.html
>> 3. https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/string-functions.html
>> 4. https://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_ref_mysql.asp
>> 5. https://www.w3schools.com/sql/func_mysql_substring.asp
>>

>> B. "mariadb string functions"
>>
>> 1. https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/string-functions/
>> 2. https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/built-in-functions/
>> 3. https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/locate/
>> 4. https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/like/
>> 5. https://www.techonthenet.com/mariadb/functions/position.php
>>

>> C. "mongodb string functions"

> [...]

The problem is well known for a long time, for example, this thread from 2009
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1252074856.13736.17.camel%40fsopti579.F-Secure.com

It might helps if we generate sitemap.xml
(https://www.postgresql.org/sitemap.xml) with links
to the pages in "right" order.

Oleg

The Russian Postgres Company