Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how tofix it - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Nikolay Samokhvalov
Subject Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how tofix it
Date
List pgsql-www

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 6:35 AM Oleg Bartunov <obartunov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
The problem is well known for a long time, for example, this thread from 2009
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1252074856.13736.17.camel%40fsopti579.F-Secure.com

It might helps if we generate sitemap.xml
(https://www.postgresql.org/sitemap.xml) with links
to the pages in "right" order.

Sitemaps won't be really useful here since their primary goal is to deliver up-to-date lists of pages to search engines, with lastmod timestamps.

To influence on the search engines, it is very important to change the real structure of website, to rework existing navigation for humans. This is the key to solve this problem. The problem is not huge – I've shown "good" examples in my original email and explained why they are "good".

We need to fix real users' behaviour – the most imporant thing is what people use when they share documentation URLs in social networks, blogs and articles.