Re: Implementing full UTF-8 support (aka supporting 0x00) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Geoff Winkless
Subject Re: Implementing full UTF-8 support (aka supporting 0x00)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3 August 2016 at 15:54, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8kdata.com> wrote:
>     Given that 0x00 is a perfectly legal UTF-8 character, I conclude we're
> strictly non-compliant.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that 0x00 is valid ASCII too, and
PostgreSQL has never stored that either.

If you want to start quoting standards, there is in fact specific
mention in the ANSI spec of null terminators in passing strings to
host languages, so if postgresql stored NULs in that way we would end
up with parameters that we couldn't pass to UDFs in a
standards-compliant way.

Geoff