Re: New version numbering practices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New version numbering practices
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I don't see any value to the _STABLE
>> suffix, given the way we treat branches.

> It would be nice to be able to tell easily from convention whether
> something is a branch or a tag.

Well, the rule would be that "REL_xx" is a branch, "REL_xx_yy" is a
release tag.  Neither of these is confusable with old-style
branch or tag names.  The alternative seems to be saying that
"REL_xx_STABLE" is a branch while "REL_xx_yy" is a release tag.
That works but it doesn't seem to have all that much to recommend it;
unless there is code in the buildfarm or elsewhere that really wants
to see _STABLE in the branch names.

> Anyway, this is a question for many months from now.

True, but we might as well make the decisions now.