Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Geoff Winkless
Subject Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date
Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">Amongseveral others, On 8 June 2015 at 13:59, David Gould </span><span dir="ltr"
style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><<ahref="mailto:daveg@sonic.net"
target="_blank">daveg@sonic.net</a>></span><spanstyle="font-family:arial,sans-serif"> wrote:</span></div><div
class="gmail_extra"><divclass="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px
#cccsolid;padding-left:1ex"> I think Alphas are valuable and useful and even more so if they have release<br /> notes.
Forexample, some of my clients are capable of fetching sources and<br /> building from scratch and filing bug reports
andare often interested in<br /> particular new features. They even have staging infrastructure that could<br /> test
newpostgres releases with real applications. But they don't do it.<br /> They also don't follow -hackers, they don't
trackgit, and they don't have<br /> any easy way to tell if if the new feature they are interested in is<br /> actually
completeand ready to test at any particular time. A lot of<br /> features are developed in multiple commits over a
periodof time and they<br /> see no point in testing until at least most of the feature is complete and<br /> expected
towork. But it is not obvious from outside when that happens for<br /> any given feature. For my clients the value of
Alphareleases would<br /> mainly be the release notes, or some other mark in the sand that says "As of<br /> Alpha-3
/></div><divclass="gmail_extra"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Wow!
Inever knew there were all these people out there who would be rushing to help test if only the PG developers released
alphaversions. It's funny how they never used to do it when those alphas were done.</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Isay again: in my experience you don't get useful test reports
frompeople who aren't able or prepared to compile software; what you do get is lots of unrelated and/or unhelpful noise
inthe mailing list. That may be harsh or unfair or whatever, it's just my experience.</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Iguess the only thing we can do is see who's right. I'm simply
tryingto point out that it's not the zero-cost exercise that everyone appears to think that it is.</div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br /></div><div class="gmail_default"