Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date
Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode  (Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:21 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
> Wow! I never knew there were all these people out there who would be rushing
> to help test if only the PG developers released alpha versions. It's funny
> how they never used to do it when those alphas were done.

That's probably overplaying your hand a little bit (and it sounds a
bit catty, too).  Some testing got done and it had some value.  It
just wasn't enough to make Peter feel like it was worthwhile.  That
doesn't mean that no testing got done and that it had no value, or
that the same thing would happen this time.  I'm as skeptical about
this whole rush-out-an-alpha business as anyone, but I think that
skepticism has to yield to contrary evidence, and people saying "I
would test if..." is legitimate contrary evidence.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company