Re: [GENERAL] pgcon2015, what happened to SMR disk technolgy ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurent Laborde
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pgcon2015, what happened to SMR disk technolgy ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
On 17 October 2017 at 11:59, Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe@gmail.com> wrote:
What's the point of the seagate archive now ?
Ironwolf, for the same public price, have better performance (obviously) and, more surprising, a better MTBF.

​I have no real insight into whether Seagate are still pursuing the product design, but I'm not really surprised that the MTBF is worse: if the shingled disk must write some tracks twice for each individual track write, it seems logical that there will be more write stress and therefore shortened lifespan, no?

I contacted seagate and just got a reply : they don't have strategic information to share about SMR technology at the moment.
I guess i saw it coming ^^

--
Laurent "ker2x" Laborde