Re: Avoid use deprecated Windows Memory API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ranier Vilela
Subject Re: Avoid use deprecated Windows Memory API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Em qui., 15 de set. de 2022 às 09:50, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> escreveu:
On 2022-Sep-14, Ranier Vilela wrote:

> According to:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winbase/nf-winbase-localalloc

> LocalAlloc is deprecated.
> So use HeapAlloc instead, once LocalAlloc is an overhead wrapper to
> HeapAlloc.

These functions you are patching are not in performance-sensitive code,
so I doubt this makes any difference performance wise.  I doubt
Microsoft will ever remove these deprecated functions, given its history
of backwards compatibility, so from that perspective this change does
not achieve anything either.
If users don't adapt to the new API, the old one will never really expire.

If you were proposing to change how palloc() allocates memory, that
would be quite different and perhaps useful, as long as a benchmark
accompanies the patch.
This is irrelevant to the discussion.
Neither the patch nor the thread deals with palloc.

regards,
Ranier Vilela