table called 'configuration' cannot be dropped - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Daniel McCue
Subject table called 'configuration' cannot be dropped
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I am running Postgresql version 9.5.14 on Ubuntu linux 16.04.
My schema defines a table called configuration.
From psql:
# \d configuration
            Table "public.configuration"
     Column     |          Type          | Modifiers
----------------+------------------------+-----------
 parametername  | character varying(64)  | not null
 parametervalue | character varying(256) |
    "configuration_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (parametername)

PROBLEM:
When in psql, I  type:
# DROP TABLE configuration;

psql just hangs.  No further output from psql.
If I hit CTRL-C, it responds as expected with:

^CCancel request sent
ERROR:  canceling statement due to user request

But why is psql stuck on the DROP statement?
Is configuration a reserved word or pre-defined table?
Do I need to rename the table?

Thanks,
Dan McCue