A slightly misleading comment in GetNewObjectId() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject A slightly misleading comment in GetNewObjectId()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

While contemplating plans to use new kinds of OIDs in buffer tags, I
noticed $SUBJECT.  It says:

 * Check for wraparound of the OID counter.  We *must* not return 0
 * (InvalidOid); and as long as we have to check that, it seems a good
 * idea to skip over everything below FirstNormalObjectId too. (This
 * basically just avoids lots of collisions with bootstrap-assigned OIDs
 * right after a wrap occurs, so as to avoid a possibly large number of
 * iterations in GetNewOid.)  Note we are relying on unsigned comparison.

That makes it sound like a mere optimisation, but since commit
8e18d04d4da user-created objects are not allowed to have OIDs below
that threshold.  So I propose the attached tweak.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment