Re: Implementing full UTF-8 support (aka supporting 0x00) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Implementing full UTF-8 support (aka supporting 0x00)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:16 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 3 August 2016 at 22:54, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8kdata.com> wrote:
>>     What would it take to support it? Isn't the varlena header propagated
>> everywhere, which could help infer the real length of the string? Any
>> pointers or suggestions would be welcome.
>

> One of the bigger pain points is that our interaction with C library
> collation routines for sorting uses NULL-terminated C strings.  strcoll,
> strxfrm, etc.

That particular bit of the problem would go away if this ever happened:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:ICU

ucoll_strcoll takes explicit lengths (though optionally accepts -1 for
null terminated mode).

http://userguide.icu-project.org/strings#TOC-Using-C-Strings:-NUL-Terminated-vs.-Length-Parameters

--
Thomas Munro