Re: Replication with 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Replication with 9.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 11:47 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Seems like you forgot to push the Reply-all button)
>
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Madovsky wrote:
>> On 10/3/2015 3:30 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>>  and no reason is given to justify *why* this would be needed in your case
>> reason for a choice can be often an issue for other :D
>>
>> I thought that postgresql 9.4  user could change on the fly with
>> synchronous_commit from local to on for ex
>> which hotstandby would become in sync and which in async to avoid a big
>> latency in case of let's say 100 hot standby.
>> it was an idea, a concept to let the master write and update the nodes, like
>> a queen bee ;)
>> but I'm afraid it's not possible, so maybe future version of pg will do it,
>> for now  read from the master is my only solution.
>
> Well, Thomas Munro (adding him in CC) has sent for integration with
> 9.6 a patch that would cover your need, by adding to
> synchronous_commit a mode called 'apply', in which case a master would
> wait for the transaction to be applied on standby before committing
> locally:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm=1fqkivL4V-OTPHwSgw4aF9HcoGiMrCW-yBtjipX9gsag@mail.gmail.com
> Perhaps you could help with the review of the patch, this has stalled
> a bit lately.

That patch (or something more sophisticated long those lines) is a
small piece of a bigger puzzle, though it might be enough if you only
have one standby, are prepared to block until manual intervention if
that standby fails, and don't mind potentially lumpy apply
performance.  See also the work being done to separate wal writing
from wal applying for smoother performance[1], and handle multiple
synchronous standbys[2].  But there is another piece of the puzzle
IMHO: how to know reliably that the standby that you are talking to
guarantees causal consistency, while also allowing standbys to
fail/drop out gracefully, and I'm currently working on an idea for
that.

Of course you can make your own causal consistency today if you are
prepared to have your clients explicitly wait for WAL to be applied.
You can call pg_current_xlog_location() on the master after
committing, and then wait until pg_last_xlog_replay_location() reports
that that LSN has been applied on any standby you talk to at the start
of any transaction that wants causal reads.  You could wrap the
waiting up in a user defined function
wait_for_xlog_replay_location(lsn, timeout) which could do a naive
poll/sleep loop (or do something more efficient with latches in core
code).  For example, imagine a client that inserts some new accounts
and then causes a large number of workers to regenerate some reports
that must include the new accounts against a pool of standbys.  It
just needs to give them the LSN they should wait for first.  And if
you don't want to pass LSNs around but don't mind introducing some
extra conservative lag, those workers could call
pg_current_xlog_location() on the master themselves to get some
arbitrary recent LSN and then wait for that to be applied before they
start their work on the standbys.

The explicit wait-for-LSN approach pushes the waiting over to readers
who want causal reads, instead of writer (the master), which still
might be interesting for some cases even if we do finish up with a
good optional master-waits system.  But a master-waits system will
allow naive clients to see up to date data no matter where they run
their queries (or be kicked off by standbys that can't guarantee that)
without having to think about LSNs and replication machinery, and I
think that would be a very useful feature.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+U5nMJifauXvVbx=v3UbYbHO3Jw2rdT4haL6CCooEDM5=4ASQ@mail.gmail.com
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAOG9ApHYCPmTypAAwfD3_V7sVOkbnECFivmRc1AxhB40ZBSwNQ@mail.gmail.com

--
Thomas Munro