Re: postgres standby won't start - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: postgres standby won't start
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/05/2015 12:35 PM, Ramalingam, Sankarakumar wrote:
> Thanks Adrian.
>
> My primary is doing  fine. Only the standby. I am noticing it after a while..my Bad!!
> Primary setting
> #------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # REPLICATION
> #------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> max_wal_senders = 5
> wal_sender_delay = 1s
> wal_keep_segments = 512
> vacuum_defer_cleanup_age = 20
> hot_standby = on
>
> Since I am unable to bring standby up, would the pg_basebackup help me out here for a complete sync? Thanks again.

The problem is that the WAL files got recycled on the primary and are no
longer available there, which is why the standby is failing. If you
where archiving the WAL files somewhere, you could fetch the missing WAL
files from there. If that is not the case then you will need to rebuild
the standby to the current state(more or less) of the primary. The
simplest way is to use pg_backup, but that means starting with either no
data directory or an empty one on the standby. The docs page steps you
through the procedure.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com