Re: [HACKERS] Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had the tests running in a loop all day long, and I cannot reproduce
> that variance.
>
> Can you share your steps to reproduce it, including configure flags?

Here are two build logs where it failed:

https://travis-ci.org/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/builds/332968819
https://travis-ci.org/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/builds/332592511

Here's one where it succeeded:

https://travis-ci.org/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/builds/333139855

The full build script used is:

./configure --enable-debug --enable-cassert --enable-coverage
--enable-tap-tests --with-tcl --with-python --with-perl --with-ldap
--with-icu && make -j4 all contrib docs && make -Otarget -j3
check-world

This is a virtualised 4 core system.  I wonder if "make -Otarget -j3
check-world" creates enough load on it to produce some weird timing
effect that you don't see on your development system.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com