Re: Possible performance regression in version 10.1 with pgbenchread-write tests. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Possible performance regression in version 10.1 with pgbenchread-write tests.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 10:06 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Here's an attempt to use existing style better: a union, like
> LWLockPadded and WALInsertLockPadded.  I think we should back-patch to
> 10.  Thoughts?

Pushed to 10, 11, master.

It's interesting that I could see a further ~12% speedup by using VM
page-size stride on that 8 socket machine, but that's something to
look at another day.  The PG_CACHE_LINE_SIZE padding change gets us
back to approximately where we were in 9.6.

/me . o O ( Gee, it'd be really nice to see this change on a graph on
a web page that tracks a suite of tests on a farm of interesting
machines on each branch over time. )

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com