Re: [GENERAL] hot standby questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lucas Possamai
Subject Re: [GENERAL] hot standby questions
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:19 PM, armand pirvu <armand.pirvu@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Just trying to put together the hot_standby setup
All docs I read are pointing to use as prefered method to use pg_basebackup to set the base
So far so good
But

psql postgres -c "select pg_start_backup('backup')"
pg_basebackup -D /var/lib/pgsql/sample  -Ft -z -P
psql postgres -c "select pg_stop_backup()"

pg_basebackup does the equivalent of pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup for you.  It is not helpful, and might even sometimes be harmful, to do them yourself when using pg_basebackup.

Pretty much every where I looked at -x is not mentioned to be used

So what gives ? What did I miss ? It's gotta be soomething

That certainly isn't my experience.  If you find sites that don't mention -x, -X, or --xlog-method, then I would be reluctant to take any of that site's other advice seriously.

But note that in version 10, -x will go away and the default will be changed so that not specifying anything will be the same as -X stream.  perhaps you are reading advice aimed at a future version.

Cheers,

Jeff

I use pg_basebackup every day and the way I do is:

pg_basebackup -D /destination --checkpoint=fast --xlog-method=stream

The --xlog-method=stream option will copy the wal_files as well (to pg_xlogs directory).

That works pretty well for me. You can either add the compress option too. Hope this was helpful.

Cheers,
Lucas