[GENERAL] Setting Variables within the PostgreSQL Service Process on AWS Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Street
Subject [GENERAL] Setting Variables within the PostgreSQL Service Process on AWS Linux
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I want to use Python 3.4 with AWS Linux and PostgreSQL 9.4. By default AWS Linux OS users Python2.7. I am trying to set the following variable in the PostgreSQL startup service

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib64/python3.4

Below is a snippet from the service:

# Set defaults for configuration variables

PGENGINE=/usr/pgsql-9.1/bin

PGPORT=5432

PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/9.1/data

PGLOG=/var/lib/pgsql/9.1/pgstartup.log

lockfile="/var/lock/subsys/${NAME}"

pidfile="/var/run/${NAME}.pid"

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib64/python3.4

# Override defaults from /etc/sysconfig/pgsql if file is present

[ -f /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/${NAME} ] && . /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/${NAME}

export PGDATA

export PGPORT

export PYTHONPATH

The variable is never loaded to the PID.  When I do the same thing with Centos 7 it works fine. The only way I can get the PostgreSQL PID to see the variable is to set a global one in the /etc/profile.d directory. This unfortunately breaks AWS Linux utilities that use Python2.7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Street