Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shigeru Hanada
Subject Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Another concern is the place where we hook the process of ANALYZE.  IOW,
>> how much portion of ANALYZE should be overridable?
>
> Not much, IMO.  The FDW should be able to decide whether or not to
> analyze a particular table, and it should be in charge of implementing
> its own version of acquire_sample_rows, but no more than that.

ISTM that we have rough consensus about what FDW should do for an
ANALYZE request.  FDW should choose either of:   a) get sample rows and return them to backend   b) tell backend that
theFDW has nothing to do for the request

> In
> particular I do not like the specific way it's done in the v7 patch
> (I've not looked at v8 yet) because the interposed logic has a
> hard-wired assumption that foreign tables do not have inheritance
> children.  I think that assumption has a life expectancy measured in
> months at most, and I don't want to have to try to fix every FDW when
> it changes.  But I think we can easily revise the hook details to fix
> that, and I'm hoping to get that done today.

I'll try implementing the design you suggested.

Regards,
--
Shigeru Hanada