Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24 February 2013 08:44, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> I can't speak for others, but I personally don't care whether a patch is
> posted in unified or context diff format. Not as a general rule, anyway;
> patches that modify a few lines here and there are generally more readable
> in unified format, as the old and new lines are lined up right next to each
> other:

I don't care either. My personal preference is context diff format,
but then that's what I usually see anyway. I don't use filterdiff or
anything like that. I just have a strong habit of using feature
branches extensively, even for patches that I'm reviewing, and my
setup makes that easy to create from a patch file. It's quite a rare
occurrence for me to care enough about a patch to want to eyeball the
code (and not just read the author's summary), and yet not care about
it enough to make a feature branch for it. I can see how other
people's habits might differ from my own here, and that they might
reasonably state a preference for unified, which is fine. I developed
a preference for unified over time, having originally just used the
format on the advice of the wiki.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan