Re: Issues with german locale on CentOS 5,6,7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Issues with german locale on CentOS 5,6,7
Date
Re: Issues with german locale on CentOS 5,6,7  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
Re: Issues with german locale on CentOS 5,6,7  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
> The last day we've encountered an issue what i think is somewhat severe if
> you want to do either OS upgrades with CentOS or even binary upgrades with
> an existing PostgreSQL instance to a new machine with locale de_DE.UTF-8
> and thus i'd like to share here.

At the risk of getting flamed: I think that this is a bug in
PostgreSQL, not CentOS. I've said why I think that is at least once
already [1]. Simply put, there is no justification for the belief that
some people have that collations should be immutable, and there is
some justification for OS vendors updating them in a way that
disregards our use of the collations. Glibc actually versions
collations, although that isn't in any standard, and it isn't clear
that we can benefit from that beyond refusing to start the server when
a collation was superseded by a new version.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEYLb_UTMgM2V_pP7qnuKZYmTYXoym-zNYVbwoU79=TuP8HE3A@mail.gmail.com
--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan