Re: Issues with german locale on CentOS 5,6,7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: Issues with german locale on CentOS 5,6,7
Date
List pgsql-general
--On 7. Oktober 2015 02:33:59 -0700 Peter Geoghegan
<peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the risk of getting flamed: I think that this is a bug in
> PostgreSQL, not CentOS. I've said why I think that is at least once
> already [1]. Simply put, there is no justification for the belief that
> some people have that collations should be immutable, and there is
> some justification for OS vendors updating them in a way that
> disregards our use of the collations. Glibc actually versions
> collations, although that isn't in any standard, and it isn't clear
> that we can benefit from that beyond refusing to start the server when
> a collation was superseded by a new version.

We had exactly the same discussion here. I tried it to express carefully
since i just wanted to hint any german users, but given that many database
vendors out there have their own collation definitions shipped shows
clearly that this is something we cannot ignore anymore.

> [1]
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEYLb_UTMgM2V_pP7qnuKZYmTYXoym-zNYV
> bwoU79=TuP8HE3A@mail.gmail.com

Yeah, i know this discussion and SR clearly widens the window for such
things to happen.

--
Thanks

    Bernd