Re: [GENERAL] Python versus Other Languages using PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Anderson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Python versus Other Languages using PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9 May 2017 at 05:26, Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com> wrote:
> Paul:
>
> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Paul Hughes <paul@vivation.com> wrote:
>> ....My question still remains though - why is it that all the largest web platforms that have used PostgreSQL
*specifically*choose Python as their back-end language?

> Do you have any data supporting that? AFAIK people tend to choose the
> language first, database second, not the other way round, and many
> times the platform language is nailed, but the db can be changed.
> Also, WHICH platforms are you referring to?

Well put. So far I've worked with Flask, Pylons, Rails and ASP.net.
All have an ORM layer (SQLAlchemy, ActiveRecord, EntityFramework) with
support for several database technologies. The framework is specific
and fixed but can pull data from anywhere.