Re: [HACKERS] Should we cacheline align PGXACT? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Sharma
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Should we cacheline align PGXACT?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> I agree.  Probably Simon's patch for reducing pgxact access could negate
> regression in pgxact alignment patch.
> Ashutosh, could please you run read-write and read-only tests when both
> these patches applied?

I already had the results with both the patches applied. But, as I was not quite
able to understand on how Simon's patch for reducing pgxact access could
negate the regression on read-write workload that we saw with pgxact-align-3
patch earlier, I was slightly hesitant to share the results. Anyways, here are
the results with combined patches on readonly and readwrite workload:

1) Results for read-only workload:
========================
pgbench -i -s 300 postgres
pgbench -M prepared -c $thread -j $thread -T $time_for_reading -S postgres

where, time_for_reading = 10mins
non default param:
shared_buffers=8GB
max_connections=300

CLIENT COUNTTPS (HEAD)TPS (PATCH)% IMPROVEMENT
436333368351.381664052
870179724963.301557446
161693031757433.803831001
323288373410933.727074508
6436335239984710.04397939
7237201141343711.13569222
12844397957835530.26629638
18032142055237371.85396055
196276780558896101.927885
256234563568951142.5578629

2) Results for read-write workload:
=========================
pgbench -i -s 300 postgres
pgbench -M prepared -c $thread -j $thread -T $time_for_reading  postgres

where, time_for_reading = 30mins

non default param:
shared_buffers=8GB
max_connections=300

CLIENT COUNTTPS (HEAD)TPS (PATCH)% IMPROVEMENT
4268326900.2609019754
8532153320.2067280586
1610348103870.3768844221
3219446197541.58387329
6428178281980.0709773582
7228296286391.212185468
12828577286000.0804843056
18026665275253.225201575
19627628285113.19603301
25628467285290.2177960445

HEAD is basically referring to the following git commit in master branch,

commit 5dbdb2f799232cb1b6df7d7a85d59ade3234d30c
Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
Date:   Fri Feb 24 12:21:46 2017 +0530

    Make tablesample work with partitioned tables.

    This was an oversight in the original partitioning commit.

    Amit Langote, reviewed by David Fetter

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma