Re: Issue with SQL query causing unintended consequences in database - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Pantelis Theodosiou
Subject Re: Issue with SQL query causing unintended consequences in database
Date
List pgsql-bugs

This is not a bug. The statement did what it should do. Notice that in https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-update.html , it mentions:

> from_item
>
> A table expression allowing columns from other tables to appear in the WHERE condition and update expressions. This uses the same syntax as the FROM clause of a SELECT statement; for example, an alias for the table name can be specified. Do not repeat the target table as a from_item unless you intend a self-join (in which case it must appear with an alias in the from_item).

So the statement did a self-join of the updated table with itself.
You probably wanted to run this query instead (without repeating the updated table in the FROM clause and moving the ON condition to the WHERE clause):

UPDATE
  nf_job
SET
  status = 'TO_DO',
  error_message = NULL
FROM
  formality f
WHERE
  f.liasse_number IN ('J00011156148', 'J00011416104')
  AND nf_job.formality_id = f.id   ;