Issue with SQL query causing unintended consequences in database - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From prevot morvan
Subject Issue with SQL query causing unintended consequences in database
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear PostgreSQL bug team,

I am writing to report an issue I encountered when running an SQL query on my database.

I ran the following query:

UPDATE
  nf_job
SET
  status = 'TO_DO',
  error_message = NULL
FROM
  nf_job n
  JOIN formality f ON n.formality_id = f.id
WHERE
  f.liasse_number IN ('J00011156148', 'J00011416104');

To my surprise, this query erased ALL of the status and error_messages in the nf_jobs table, rather than just changing two lines as I had intended.

Upon reviewing the documentation for SELECT and UPDATE at the following links:

I noticed that the SELECT statement allows for the use of "JOIN", but the UPDATE statement does not. This leads me to believe that it should have been a syntax error to include "JOIN" in an UPDATE statement. However, no syntax error was thrown and the query seemed to attempt to run anyway, resulting in the unintended consequences described above.

I would be grateful if the team could take a look into this issue and let me know if there is any way to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Émile PRÉVOT