Re: Re: any way for a transaction to "see" inserts done earlier in the transaction? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Susan Cassidy
Subject Re: Re: any way for a transaction to "see" inserts done earlier in the transaction?
Date
List pgsql-general
I suppose it's possible.  I've never seen this behavior before, but I don't think I've ever used this same scenario before.  It is slightly unusual.

Susan

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
On 17 Apr 2014, at 2:49, David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert DiFalco wrote
>> Two common cases I can think of:
>>
>> 1. The PERL framework is only caching the insert and does not actually
>> perform it until commit is issued.
>
> Wouldn't the same mechanism cache the corresponding SELECT?

Not likely, or if it did it wouldn’t be able to know what id was returned from the function (which calls nextval(), but that isn’t relevant here since it’s marked volatile).
That makes it a possible scenario for what’s being witnessed here.

Alban Hertroys